Good Luck Exploring The Infinite Abyss



This post is inspired from this scene in the movie Garden State which you should watch if you haven’t seen it. The scene on its own is a little cheesy but in the context of the film is entirely perfect. Anyway, here it is in case you do want to watch it.

In a little over a month, I’m going to graduate. Providing I get round to ordering my robes in time. And providing I haven’t failed my degree though, as I’ve only one mark to receive back even if I failed that course, I think (could be wrong), I’ll still get a degree and graduate. My life, as I’ve known it for the past three years, in fact my life as I’ve pretty much known it my entire life, will change. Scary. Terrifying. Exciting.
I have no idea where I’ll be at the end of the summer. As I’m doing a course for a month right in the middle of the summer, I can’t start looking for a job yet and as that course could lead to another two year course, I don’t even know if I’ll need a job in three months or not. And I don’t know where I’ll be. I could be back at home or come September I might move back to the city I’ve spent the past three years in. The only thing I am absolutely sure of is my life will be very different whatever happens. And that’s it. I know nothing else. I have absolutely no certainty for the future. Just ideas, options, hopes, dreams and grim determination to do what makes me happy. But no certainty. Scary. Terrifying. And, every now and then, just a little exciting.
Considering that as children, we are (hopefully) raised in the comfort of certainty (you will go to school, you will have holidays, you will go to bed when you’re told..ish, you will have a bed, a drawer in your classroom, cake on your birthday and, at my secondary school, iced buns for break on Wednesdays) and even at university, providing you do the work, you still have this framework, this pattern, this comfort you’ve been raised on and lived by your entire life of terms and holidays and automatically going from one year to the next, moving into a life without it is possibly one of the most daunting transitions you will ever face. No wonder so many graduates choose to train as teachers. Yes, it’s a very tough job but it still has something of that comforting pattern.
But at some point you’ve got to let go, however daunting. Like learning to ride a bike, you have to just ride away and trust that you’ll carry on going because if you stop you’ll definitely fall over and even if you do fall, you just have to pick yourself up and get back on and start riding again. It’s a lesson in trusting yourself, going off and exploring the infinite abyss. You will fail. Nobody succeeds at everything. But nobody fails at everything either because every failure at making a step in one direction is just a step into another.
As I took a gap year (well, if I’m being honest, a gap yah), some of my friends from school have already graduated. I look at them and no, they don’t have their dream jobs or a flash lifestyle or lots of money. But they have a life. And they’re exploring the world, in some way or another. It took me ages to learn to ride a bike. An embarrassingly long time. Mainly because when I was at the age when my friends’ parents started to taking the training wheels off my friends’ bikes, my parents were both too busy, changing jobs, starting degrees etc. And then a couple of years later, they had time but I was too embarrassed. I used to look at other children riding bikes and think I can’t do that, how on earth did they balance? Fact is they just did. And, when I eventually learnt, I did too. So now I look at my friends who have graduated already and think if they can do it, I can do it too. Even if we want completely different things from our lives. We’re still exploring the same infinite abyss.
So I’m just going to take a deep breath and step into the world and see what happens. And considering a month, two months ago, I was threatening to spend next year living under my bed in my parents’ house, this is, by far, the most overwhelming decision I’ve ever made…even if it’s a decision I can’t help but make. Still, if Peter Pan or The Doctor appeared and offered to whisk me away, I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t go with them. I just hope I’d come back, eventually.
And to my friends, from university and from school, who are about to make the same step into the world, I wish them the best of luck and thank them for all the good times we’ve had together and the lessons they’ve taught me that I hope I will carry on the journey. Off we go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a 'Boomerang'

Causes Worth Fighting For 1#

A New Year. A 'New You'?!